Auditor 1 (Abandoned Property)- Item
Auditor 1 (Abandoned Property)- Item Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be r
Salary: $45,455-71,980 per year
Type: Full Time
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the Decentralized list for Auditor 1 (Abandoned Property), Salary
Grade (sg) 18, exam #20-777 or reachable on the Auditor 1 (Abandoned Property) Trainee 1 list, exam #20-724 or be a
current NYS employee eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 or 70.4 of the Civil Service Law.
To be eligible for transfer under Section 70.1 to the Auditor 1 (Abandoned Property) sg-18, candidates must have one year
of permanent competitive service in a title allocated to grade 16 or higher and have 24 credit hours in accounting and/or
To be eligible for transfer under Section 70.4 to the Auditor 1 (Abandoned Property) sg-18, a candidate must:
1. Have one year of permanent competitive service allocated to grade 16 or higher.
2. Meet the open competitive minimum qualifications of the position, and
3. Have standing on the open competitive decentralized exam list #20-777
To be eligible to transfer under Section 70.4 to Auditor 1 (Abandoned Property) Trainee 1, a candidate must:
1. Have one year of permanent competitive service allocated to grade 12 or higher 2. Meet the open competitive minimum
qualifications of the position, and 3. Have standing on the open competitive decentralized exam list #20-724.
To take the continuous recruitment decentralized examination please go to:
Duties Description Perform compliance audits of companies to ensure they are aware of and in compliance with the
Abandoned Property Law (APL).
· Incumbent will reach out to candidates for the Voluntary Compliance Program.
· This involves researching company backgrounds, gathering financial data and contact information.
o Incumbent will contact candidates by phone, email and letters to assist with completing audit questionnaires.
o Examine completed audit questionnaires, request and review background data including general ledger, accounts
payable, and account reconciliations.
o Identify items that should be reported as unclaimed funds.
o Compare the candidate’s reporting history with the results of the audit to determine whether or not all amounts have
been reported and whether the amount due to the State has been properly computed and paid.
o Prepare audit reports on compliance activities and performance and report to management.
· Provide ongoing assistance to candidates about the law, resolve any questions, and assist in filing a report as a result of
the compliance audit.
Perform an analytical review on reports submitted to the Office of Unclaimed Funds. Make determinations based on that
review and report to management with recommendations.
· Incumbent will examine Abandoned Property reports received by holders and compare to detail entered into the
Unclaimed Funds Processing System (UFPS).
· Incumbent will identify, document, and categorize any variances between the data sets. Any variances will be
documented as audit findings. He/she will then prepare an audit report.
· Incumbent will recommend process improvements following their analytical review of the documentation through
communication that could be internal or external to this Office. Audit findings and recommendations will be presented and
discussed with management.
Develop audit techniques and procedures to complete the audit review. Complete Data Analysis to ensure compliance with
the Abandoned Property Law.
· Identify new ways to complete the audit review comparing original data to a database export file; establish procedures to
create a routine way to use the new techniques.
· Troubleshoot any problems that arise.
· Incumbent will use data analysis techniques to ensure holders are in compliance with the Abandoned Property Law.
o This could be related to any of the positions other major activities.
o The analysis can be performed by use of different software applications.
Stay current on applicable laws and reporting procedures.
· Monitor and research any changes in procedures, laws, or industry trends pertaining to unclaimed property.
· Identify any stakeholders, issues, and any pertinent history to determine what information is important in different
Additional Comments DESIRED COMPETENCIES:
· Accounting and auditing
· Written and Verbal Communication
· Strong knowledge of Microsoft Suite and ability to use or learn new software. Knowledge of Arbutus, ACL or equivalent
analysis software is desirable.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.